With this product, you can quickly install a Point-to-Point (PtP) network bridge link. It comes pre-configured so all you have to do is point-plug-and-play. The equipment is set to 30 dBm output - the maximum effective radiated power that is legal for this band in Australia.
| ||This product is ideal for Non-Line of Sight (nLOS) applications.|
It uses signals in the 900 MHz band that have much better penetration than 2.4 or 5 GHz WiFi.
Here is What You Get
- 2 x Ubiquiti™ RocketM900 units. These fully weatherproof units come with antenna, electronics and pole mount.
- 2 x Ubiquiti™ 16 dBi MIMO Yagi antennas. These antennas are specifically designed for use with the RocketM900. The come with a pole mount.
- 2 x Ubiquiti Power Over Ethernet (POE) Injectors with Australian power cords.
- 2 x 20m grounded, weatherproof LAN Cable cables. These cables run between the NSM5s and the POE injector and prevent damaging static buildup during electrical storms.
- 2 x Pre-Configuration to Ubiquiti Best Practices. While you can change the configuration later if your needs change, you should not need to perform any configuration when delivered.
- Carrier-Class network Management. All Ubiquiti™ products come with powerful Network Management features like SNMP, SSH, and compatibility with the Ubiquiti™ airControl application. airControl allows you to monitor and control these and any other Ubiquiti devices from a central management console.
- File sharing between buildings
- Internet/email connection extension to a remote building
- Video surveillance using IP cameras.
- Others ...
Theoretical Performance - Clear Line of Sight
|30+ km||4 Mbps||Calculated - Max. Range
|15 km||32 Mbps||Calculated - Max. Speed
These figures assume:
A point to note: The Fresnel Zone is quite large at this frequency. For best performance, keep the units well above ground.
- Within ACMA legal limits on EIRP (power) and channel width
- Transmitter and receiver are 20m above ground
- No significant obstacles (eg metal barriers, earth) in the Fresnel Zone.
Real World Test
We did a real-world test of this PtP equipment. It was a less-than-ideal test as the antennas were only about 1.5m off the ground and hence a large part of the signal was trying to go through the earth. If the antennas had been mounted higher, the results would have been better.
Click image to enlarge
|This image shows the path.|
Trees: 11 of them (!)
Brick walls: 2 (not shown)
- Transmit Power: 30 dBm EIRP (max. legal)
- Centre Freq: 922 MHz
- Channel Width: 10 MHz
- Receive Signal: -77 dBm
- Noise Level: -102 dBm
- Connect Speed: 39 Mbps
- TCP/IP data throughput: 14.8 Mbps (using built-in iperf test tool)
What does Non-Line-of-Sight (nLOS) mean?
While 900 MHz has better penetration in most cases than the WiFi frequencies of 2.4 and 5 GHz ... that does not mean it will work in all situations.
For example - metal is a 100% reflector at this frequency so it will not pass through metal. And 900MHz works best when one or both antennas are well above the ground.
- Easy pointing. The Rocket900 has an external LED display giving the received signal level.
- Layer 2 bridge link. This is not a routed link - meaning you are effectively joining two buildings into one virtual LAN. LAN protocols like DHCP and Microsoft Networking work across the bridge without any configuration. Because the NanoStation units are effectively 2-port learning network switches, they do not pass unnecessary LAN traffic to the other building. That is, LAN traffic between PCs in Building 1 does not flow over the wireless link into Building 2; maximising available bandwidth and performance.
- Outdoor use.
- Horizontal & Vertical polarization.
- Supplied with mast mounting kit.
- Maximum legal power for Australia. You can not deploy a more powerful WiFi system in Australia.
- Cisco™ VLAN and VoIP compatible. This product is compatible with Cisco™ VLAN and VoIP products.
Each 16 dBi MIMO Yagi antenna comes with a free pole-mount. The standard pole mount kit allows azimuth adjustment, but not elevation. Other mounting options are listed below.
And the Yagi antenna includes a special built-in bracket for the RocketM900 to clip into.
This is the default configuration that we ship. If you prefer any of these values changed for your order, just tell us in the comments part of your order.
- WiFi mode: WDS.
- Centre Frequency: 922 MHz
- Channel width: 10 MHz (Max legal in Australia)
- TCP/IP address: 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.202. Note: these do NOT have to match the network addresses you are using on your LAN. In fact, it is much better if they are not part of your LAN address space. The only time you would want to change these is if you ALREADY are using these addresses on your network and they would clash.
- TCP/IP subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Encryption: WPA2-AES
- Login: We leave the login/password at factory default (ubnt/ubnt). You then change the password when the equipment is installed.
See these links for specific specifications:
You may also want to consider ...